Friday, April 25, 2008

11 Mintues?? That Would Be the Real Suprise.

As of right now, my flight from DCA back to EWR is only delayed 11 minutes.

There's no one around to start a pool, but I'd wager that will increase, the only question is by how much.

I'm here in Annapolis, and before I shut down my dad's computer I thought I'd sneak in a little blog entry.



They didn't use me the day after airport alert, so I was able to sneak home on a 5pm flight Tuesday. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous and I love all the dogwood and lilacs in bloom.

Last Sunday was my little sister's 22nd birthday, and I haven't seen her in a few weeks so I was hoping to help her celebrate a little this weekend.

My mother, in an unforeseen fit of coolness, booked a hotel room for Saturday so that Laura and her friends from college could come to Annapolis get gleamed up together, hit downtown, then crash at the suite for the night.

As Annie suggested, the hotel party birthday is definitely only celebrated by the youngest sibling.

But I harbor no resentment, and I was even planning to personal drop for Saturday so that I could help set up munchies and decorate for the girls.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if I actually got the day off on Saturday (tomorrow) until 6pm Friday (today) meaning that I would have already had to have been at the airport by the time the good news came.

I thought about just risking it and calling out sick if I didn't get the day off, but I've got to save my sick days for when Brandon Flowers calls to say his wife left him because he converted to Catholicism and so it's a good time for us to run away.

Just to make the personal drop plan even more futile, the last flight out of DCA on Saturday is 5pm, so I still wouldn't have time to get festive.

So, instead I made a fabulous menu of munchies, including a decadent "Coconut Hummingbird Cake", complete with vases of lilac blossoms and decorated labels to make choosing among the deleciousness easier. In my absence, my mom has PROMISED to display everything as I described. I'm a little anxious about that, but I guess if Claire can trust her to do the flowers for her wedding, I can let her plate up my oatmeal cookies.

In theory, my sister still knows nothing of all this, but I'm not too concerned about ruining the suprise. As far as I know, she's only read my blog once...because I was at her apartment...reading it out loud to her.

But no resentment for me, remember.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for saying hi and running today. Had to get back downstairs to finish men's group.

    I found that music video. You could be an air hostess in the 60s, or a part time model but you probably still have to keep your normal job, or a high-class... never mind. Some lyrics only Tom can repeat.

    I like your thought about your job being a metaphore for the temporary incarnation of our immortal souls. Maybe you should talk more about that.

    Keep Blogging AnnapolisGen. I'm a big fan! Say hi to Tom if you see him anywhere in your travels. Last I heard from him he was delayed at the airport in Portland while attemping to stalk you. He said it was impossible to keep up. I guess you really get around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud during the part about Brandon's wife leaving him because he converted to Catholicism ... nice touch! ;)

    ReplyDelete