Sunday, September 30, 2007

When You Gotta Go, You Gotta Go


So, what do you do on a Saturday night in New Jersey when scheduling has not called, your best friends are either visiting with out-of-state relatives or being soon-to-be-wed recluses, and you just don't feel like riding the train into New York?

Fly to Washington DC of course.

At least that's what I did because at about 7:30 last night I just really wanted to be home.

I took at advantage of that dubious jumpseat privilege and hopped on the last flight to DCA. (note: the secret of being a successful homesick flight attendant is to make home a place where there are 6 flights a day and always seats open)

My parents were less than eager to pick me up from the airport at midnight and come right back this afternoon, but before I could feel too dejected my sister jumped in and suggested I visit her at school. The DC metro runs directly from the airport to campus.

The flight was a first for me: 109 open seats and we arrived 45 minutes early. In fact the whole trip was a first: it's Laura's senior year and I have never stayed over, not even when I lived in Annapolis.

Let me just say, college life is pretty great when you don't have to deal with those silly classes. Midnight snacks, marathon Court TV, working out in the spectacular campus gym (the place was more spacious and sunlight than Terminal C), and catching up with (as she saved her number on my phone ) "Awsome Laura".

I was also fortunate enough to be on the computer at just the right time to pick up a nice 4 day trip for tomorrow, so I won't fear the phone ringing at least until Thursday. A short night in Boston, then a long Pheniox, AZ and Orange County, CA.

Now, I say that college life was great without the classes because I didn't have any. My dear sister on the hand does, She has a lot of work this semester and she's also president of a campus organization, so please keep her in your prayers.

I'll admit it's pretty nice to have a job that lets me hop on a plane whenever I'm feeling a little homesick. But then again if I didn't have the job, I wouldn't have moved to NJ and be feeling homesick in the first place. So I guess it all balances out.

No comments:

Post a Comment