Friday, May 23, 2008

Tellin me about a party up in OKC. And can I make it? Damn right! I'll be on the next flight. Payin cash, first class, sittin next to Vanna White!*


Woo-hoo, I'm in Oklahoma!

My first time in Oklahoma City to be specific.

Allegedly it's a different city than Tulsa. It's considerably west, and I vaguely remember an NPR piece about how Tulsa tends to vote and act like deep south Arkansas and Oklahoma City has more of a wild West persona.

But it's a lot like Tulsa.

Maybe it's just my East Coast eyes and ears, but the airport looks the same, the people talk the same, and there's about the same amount of nothing to do.

No matter, this is the kind of layover where my suitcase full of fun proves itself despite curious eyebrow lifts from TSA every time I go through the x-ray. Good books, knitting projects, stationary and (of particular importance here in cattle country) vegetarian provisions.

And I have the leisure time to update my blog.

There hasn't been much to write about lately. I had a tremendously ordinary four-day trip last week (I actually layed over at LaGuardia in NYC, just minutes from my home base of Newark), and then made it home for a few days.

I came back to NJ a day early and on Wednesday saw Colleen receive her doctoral robes from Rutgers. She looked beautiful (and smart!), her parents were beaming, and the rain held off until everyone cleared the lawn. In all, a beautiful day.

That night, even though Colleen is the math professor, I was the one geeking out to a good game of Risk with the newlyweds. I held my ground for most of the night, but it's hard to take over the world from Iceland.

I'm not sure that I'd fare much better at global domination based here in Oklahoma City, so I guess I'll just stay on this trip and end up in Miami tonight.

_______________________
*My crew is fun and they appreciated my late night improvements on early 2000's Nelly raps. It's going to be a good trip. Now if I could only pimp my suitcase.

3 comments:

  1. Best continents in Risk to occupy first and easiest to defend is Africa and Australia. I will assure you will win the majority of the games if you occupy Africa and Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having taken a viking civilization course, I know that conquering the world from Iceland is challenging...but not impossible...they made a few mistakes, too. Get your A-game on girl - I don't want to hear anymore disappointing RISK stories.

    So. I have officially read your entire blog- so no more casual mentioning that I never read your blog- Ok? You are a very clever and thought provoking writer, reminding me a bit of Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat Pray Love) except I don't want to punch myself in the face when I read your blog.

    I shall remain anonymous... just know that I have become a loyal reader ... do you know who I am??? Am I someone creepy?? A creepy, faceless internet stalker? Maybe someone from your past? or your present? or...your future. Does this make you nervous?? Jk, girl!! Call me when you get this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha!!! I think I posted my comment a thousand times because I didn't realize you have to approve it first!! Sorry girl!

    ReplyDelete