Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Cure for Global Warming and Other Chilling Activites

It seems the weather has finally checked the calender.

Here in the mid-Atlantic states it is appropriately autumnal. The air is fresh and cool, a bright sun sparkles through golden leaves and Annapolitans participate in seasonal rituals such as pumpkin picking and Navy tailgates.

You can thank me personally for the temperature change because yesterday I shaved my legs.

By October I have every right to hide a little lazy grooming under slacks or pantyhose, but this year I can't bear to put away the fun (easy-traveling) summer clothes. Since I want to continue to dress for the weather (and not have people think I'm voting for Hillary), I did what needed to be done. Of course as soon as I was skirt-worthy, the cold snap snapped.

Guess I'm just fighting global warming one follicle at a time.

But even more terrifying than my overgrown gams was the Halloween Organ Concert at the Naval Academy. Well, maybe not terrifying, but great fun!

Every year the midshipmen transform the Chapel into the eerie setting of the All Saints Day celebration. It's not just a concert it's an experience.

Black and blue light illuminates the dramatic cobweb-covered architecture of the Chapel while everywhere midshipmen dressed as zombies, ghouls and other bizarre creatures taunt the audience.

The concert itself started out with haunting pieces such as Phantom of the Opera, then silly stuff like the Adams Family and an awesome Thriller complete with choreographed corpses. Later the singing and dancing featured a (perhaps a little stero-)typical number from several different countries and at last a tribute to the dead and the lighting of a memorial candle after which the confetti began to flutter down from the ceiling and a banner unfurled reading "Happy All Saints Day".

I don't have any plans for Halloween itself. I'm just on-call this week, but if this year is anything like last, I'd rather just sit it out.

Last Oct. 29 I was assigned a lovely four-day trip with a long Salt Lake City layover on day one, and a fabulous 24 hours in downtown San Diego on Halloween! My crew turned out to be great. It was on this trip I met my friend Matti, one of the few flight attendants I actually hang out with on the ground, and our first officer was funny and up for hanging out with us on day two.

I had my ruby slippers ready to go as we left Salt Lake, but during the pre-flight checks another flight attenant discovered some damaged equipment. Turned out this particular piece was a "N0-Fly" item, and a rather hard to replace one as well. No other airline in or around Salt Lake City had a spare protective-breathing-hood to lend us, so we were grounded along with over 100 passengers.

Five hours later, when the new eqipment was flown in from Houston, the rest of our trip had long ago been covered by other reserves and we were uncermoniously deadheaded back to Newark. And as if we weren't pathetic enough, when I went to call home and convince my family just how pathetic I was, I discovered my phone had been stolen.

So for now I'm just going to enjoy this beautiful fall weather which I helped to usher in and hope for the best from scheduling.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Gen, I can't believe that i'm the only one replying to this. It's one thing to share details of the length of your leg hair with with people that may never meet you. But it's entirely something else to make it known to people who know you offline. That was a pretty gutsy post. But then again, there's a woman that I work with that talks about her legs not being shaven.

    Anyway, maybe i'll be inspired to write something personal as well.

    ReplyDelete